10.28.2010

The Town and The Public Enemy

In comparing the “The Town” to “The Public Enemy’ I didn’t see much to contrast. The Public Enemy is a very old movie and I have a hard time appreciating the directing capabilities of that time. I found myself getting bored very quickly and wasn’t excited about what was happening in the film. The Town wasn’t the best movie in the world but it did have a edge that was lacking in The Public Enemy. Tom Powers was hardly a likeable character, he fancied himself to be a big shot but all he did was take orders. Doug in The Town was a smart, witty, man who had a couple hard breaks in life but he was a leader and the brains of the group. He also didn’t believe in hurting people for no reason and acting reckless. He also carried himself modestly not flashing his stolen cash or arrogantly bragging about it. I found myself despising Tom Powers for being a cocky prick with a loose trigger finger and no respect for women aside from his mother. The only justification between these movies is that Powers dies and Affleck redeems himself in the end with a completely selfless good deed.

No comments:

Post a Comment